Legal Fund

Contributions still being accepted. Thank You!

 

Benefits Canada reports that Canadian DB pensions reach highest solvency in nearly two decades

In meetings with the plan actuary a few years ago, he stated that the simulations they ran indicated there was a 25% chance (ie 75% chance all would be fine) that the former PSSA would see a marked increase in the liability over the next 20 years. Was there really any need to curtail vested, accrued and guaranteed benefits for retired and active members of the plan? 
 
Benefits Canada - October 1, 2018
In the third quarter of 2018, Canadian defined benefit pension plans reached their highest solvency ratio of any quarter since November 2000, according to Mercer’s latest pension health index.
 
Mercer attributed the healthy funded status to a surge in long-term interest rates during the last few weeks of September, which helped decrease pension liabilities. Also, U.S. and international equities did well, while Canadian stocks remained a drag on portfolios.